Skin Software is an Australian telemedicine platform offering personalised prescription skincare treatments for acne, pigmentation, and signs of ageing. With science-backed active ingredients including retinoids, niacinamide, hyaluronic acid, azelaic acid, and oral antibiotics, Skin Software may help individuals reach their long-term skin goals with a convenient subscription model.
Skin Software aims to help smooth fine lines, even skin tone, fade age spots, heal active acne, and prevent future breakouts using personalised dosages of potent skincare ingredients. While active ingredients can cause skin dryness or irritation in some individuals, the platform provides ongoing care from a team of expert practitioners to adjust your formula as needed.
In this Skin Software review, we offer a comprehensive overview of the company, including how the products work for certain skin concerns, what you can expect from the subscription plan, what real users have to say, and more.
How much does Skin Software cost?
Skin Software costs $108 for a customised formulation and your initial consultation. Then, it costs $44 per month, billed every two months.
Skin Software Pros + Cons
- Custom compounded formulas provide a unique blend of active ingredients, potentially leading to more effective results for ageing, acne, and pigmentation
- Connects users with medical professionals who can prescribe skincare products that use potent active ingredients, ensuring safe treatment decisions without the need for in-person appointments
- Ongoing support ensures that treatments can be adjusted as skin conditions evolve
- A large selection of active ingredients may make it easier to find your optimal formula
- Might require trial and error to find the optimal blend
- Might be limitations in the assessment of certain skin conditions that require a physical examination, as the company only offers remote assessments
Benefits: Is Skin Software Good?
Skin Software offers customised, all-in-one formulations for various skin concerns, providing access to prescription-grade skincare without having to book an in-person appointment. In addition to convenient subscriptions, individuals can also purchase a la carte products, including cleansers, balms, supplements, and patches.
Key benefits of Skin Software include:
- Personalised formulas, which offer a targeted approach with customised formulations that may help address unique and complex skin concerns
- Ongoing remote care, with regular check-ins to help track progress and reformulate your treatment as needed
- A range of potencies to best suit each person’s tolerance for certain active ingredients
Does Skin Software Work?
Skin Software uses active ingredients that have been clinically proven to help treat acne, signs of ageing, and/or pigmentation, including:
- Retinoids have been shown to significantly reduce facial wrinkles after 12 weeks of application in a study. For acne, retinoids are considered a safe and effective treatment option.
- Niacinamide, also known as nicotinamide, has been found to provide anti-inflammatory benefits that can help treat acne vulgaris. Studies have also shown that niacinamide reduces wrinkling, redness, and hyperpigmentation.
- Hyaluronic acid is considered an effective, well-tolerated hydrating ingredient with anti-ageing properties.
- Azelaic acid has been shown to effectively treat pigmentation, acne, rosacea, and melasma.
- Oral antibiotics have anti-inflammatory properties that have been found to effectively treat acne.
Conditions That Skin Software Treats
Skin Software offers treatments for:
- Ageing, including fine lines, wrinkles, and photoaging
Customised formulations from Skin Software combine multiple active ingredients into a single treatment. The platform’s most commonly prescribed ingredients to treat various skin conditions and concerns:
- Retinoids are a potent form of vitamin A that boost skin cell turnover, increase collagen production, and reduce inflammation. This ingredient is best for acne, ageing, and pigmentation.
- Niacinamide is a form of vitamin B3 that’s widely used in skincare to strengthen the skin barrier and aid in skin cell production. It’s best for acne, ageing, and pigmentation.
- Hyaluronic acid is a popular skincare ingredient with humectant properties, meaning that it attracts and retains moisture. It complements potent active ingredients by calming and gently hydrating the skin. It’s best for ageing, though it can also help prevent irritation from a high-dose acne treatment.
- Azelaic acid is a dicarboxylic acid that acts as a tyrosinase inhibitor, meaning that it reduces melanin synthesis. It’s best for pigmentation and acne.
- Oral antibiotics eliminate bacteria that can clog pores and reduce inflammation to shrink acne lesions. It works best for acne.
All of the above ingredients can be customised by strength through Skin Software to prevent skin irritation while treating the targeted condition.
Skin Software Acne Formula
Skin Software’s acne formula may include:
- Oral antibiotics can help reduce inflammation and acne-triggering bacteria. Research has shown that oral antibiotics are effective in treating inflammatory acne, which often doesn’t respond to over-the-counter acne treatments.
- Prescription retinoids help remove dead skin cells and other impurities that may be trapped in pores, helping to treat and prevent acne.
- Azelaic acid kills bacteria and breaks up debris that’s trapped in the skin’s pores, making it an effective active ingredient for acne.
Niacinamide and hyaluronic acid may also be added to the Acne Formula to protect the skin barrier. Actives used to treat acne can cause dryness and irritation, so hydrating the skin is crucial.
Skin Software Anti-Ageing Formula
Skin Software’s anti-ageing formula may include:
- Prescription retinoids ramp up collagen production, which helps restore the skin’s strength and structure. Also, by increasing skin cell turnover, it brightens and rejuvenates the skin’s appearance. Retinoids are considered the gold standard of treatment for photoaging.
- Niacinamide has been found to improve age-related discolouration, wrinkles, and lost skin elasticity.
- Hyaluronic acid attracts moisture to the skin, helping to give it a plump appearance and smooth wrinkles. It’s been found to significantly decrease the depth of wrinkles, improve hydration, and enhance skin elasticity.
- Azelaic acid can treat age-related pigmentation, such as age spots and sun damage.
Skin Software Pigmentation Formula
Skin Software’s pigmentation formula may include:
- Prescription retinoids help fade pigmentation and even out the skin tone by increasing skin cell turnover.
- Niacinamide has been shown to significantly decrease hyperpigmentation within four weeks by reducing areas of excess melanin in the skin.
- Azelaic acid decreases melanin synthesis, helping to treat skin pigmentation.
- Hyaluronic acid may not directly affect pigmentation, but provides hydration to offset the potential drying effects of the ingredients used to treat hyperpigmentation.
Skin Software’s pigmentation treatment may also contain an ingredient called hydroquinone, a clinically tested ingredient for discolouration and melasma.
Other Skin Software Ingredients and Products
Skin Software offers other ingredients in its products and skincare treatments, including:
- Vitamin C, a potent antioxidant to brighten the skin and prevent free radical damage
- Alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs) and beta-hydroxy acids (BHAs), chemical exfoliants that boost collagen and skin cell renewal
- Ferulic acid, an antioxidant compound that enhances the effects of vitamin C and supports skin repair
- Salicylic acid, a beta-hydroxy acid that exfoliates the skin and eliminates bacteria to help manage mild acne
Several a la carte products are available through Skin Software without a prescription, including:
- The Essential Skincare Routine, which includes the Daily Software Cleanser, Daily Software Moisturizer, and Daily Sun Defence SPF50+ (Software Sunscreen)
- Salicylic Acid Foaming Wash to help clear acne-causing bacteria and other impurities
- Vitamin C + Ferulic Serum for pigmentation and fine lines
- Ceramide Repair Balm to nourish skin and repair the skin barrier
- Retinol Complex Oil to target fine lines, dark spots, and dryness
- AHA/BHA Software Pimple Patches to shrink pimples by killing deep-set bacteria
Skin Software’s Complete Skincare Routine Set combines many of these products into a single purchase, including the Daily Cleanser, Daily Moisturizer, Daily Sun Defence SPF50+, Vitamin C + Ferulic Serum, and Retinol Complex Oil.
How Does Skin Software Work?
Getting a customised treatment with Skin Software starts with an online skin quiz. This quiz will cover your medical history, skin concerns, and skin goals. Then, you’ll be asked to send some photos of your skin for your practitioner to review.
Next, you’ll have a one-on-one, text-based chat with your practitioner. They may ask a few follow-up questions based on your quiz responses and photos before choosing your ingredients, customising your dosages, and sending over your prescription, if appropriate.
One of Skin Software’s partner pharmacies will fill the prescription within 5 to 7 business days. It will then get shipped directly to you, for free. Skin Software provides automatic refills so that you don’t have to worry about running out of your formula.
The Skin Software team provides ongoing support so that you can track your progress and get your treatment reformulated as needed. You can reach out with questions at any time, for free.
Skin Software Side Effects and Safety
Though the active ingredients included in Skin Software’s formulas are generally well-tolerated, some people may experience side effects.
Retinoid Side Effects
Side effects may include:
- Dry skin
- Skin irritation
- Sun sensitivity
Niacinamide Side Effects
Side effects of niacinamide, also known as nicotinamide, may include:
- Skin drying
Azelaic Acid Side Effects
Side effects of azelaic acid may include:
- Dry skin
Oral Antibiotics Side Effects
Side effects of antibiotics may include:
- Yeast infections
Hyaluronic acid is generally well-tolerated. However, as with any topical skincare product, it can pose a risk of allergic reactions. The signs of an allergic reaction from topical products include hives, itchiness, peeling, swelling, and eye irritation.
Contact your practitioner if you experience any side effects. You may need a lower strength or different active ingredients.
When to Seek Emergency Medical Care
Seek emergency medical care if you experience:
- Shortness of breath
- Difficulty swallowing
- Lack of consciousness
- Chest pain
- Fast, weak pulse
Skin Software vs. QR8 Mediskin
|Skin Software||QR8 Mediskin|
|Skin concerns||Acne |
Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH)
|Price||$108 for consultation|
$54/month for custom formula billed and shipped every 2 months
|$220 for 3 months of custom formula and a consultation (about $73/month)|
$190 for 3 months of maintenance treatment (about $63/month)
|Quantity||24mL bottle for 2 months||50g (49.3mL) cream for 3 months|
|Combines multiple active ingredients?||✅||✅|
|OTC products available?||✅||❌|
|Key active ingredients||Retinoid |
|Doctor consultation method||Text-based chat||Video chat|
Skin Software Reviews From Their Customers
We poured through several sites to find verified reviews from real Skin Software users. Many customers note that they’re pleased with their Skin Software before and after effects, citing excellent results for acne, ageing, and pigmentation. However, some individuals were hoping to have the option to adjust their prescription delivery so that it could be sent less frequently.
My only gripes would be that I would prefer to have more control around how often they send the subscription (I barely get through a bottle before they send the next one), and make it easier to pause via my account.”
The Verdict: Is Skin Software Legit?
Skin Software is ideal for anyone seeking accessible, science-backed prescription-strength skincare for acne, ageing, or pigmentation.
Without the need for in-person appointments with a dermatologist, Skin Software makes it easy to overcome common skin concerns with personalised treatments that can be adjusted as your needs change.
Although it may take a few tries to find your optimal formula, Skin Software provides ongoing remote support to ensure that you reach your skin goals.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The Skin Software Vitamin C + Ferulic Serum contains 15% vitamin C.
You can cancel your subscription at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Retinoids are considered one of the most effective serum ingredients for anti-ageing, although results can vary from person to person.
Oral antibiotics, prescription retinoids, azelaic acid, salicylic acid, and benzoyl peroxide are considered effective acne treatments.
We conducted extensive research to evaluate the effectiveness, safety, accessibility, overall quality, and customer support of Skin Software, which also included examining other skincare platforms in Australia. To determine overall value, we evaluated cost, usability, and treatment options.
Other factors we investigated prior to choosing the best platform included convenience, customer service, access to healthcare providers, package deals, and any free services or resources offered. For the best platform overall, Skin Software stood out for its wide range of research-backed treatments and ongoing support for people with various skin concerns, like acne, ageing, and/or hyperpigmentation.